Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Sunday, April 27, 2014

You don't need 2 feet to put one foot in front of the other.

I love this scene in Dodgeball.  Sadly it is appropriate for this post.  And of course I too love "The Ocho" 

Here is my tale of shame, turned around by a friend.

I had planned to walk/jog the Crescent City Classic 10k this year but was busy talking myself out of it.  I didn't need to spend the money, I'm injured, I have a blister, my knees are bad, I need new running shoes,Blah blah blah wah wah wah.  Then my friend and fellow comic, Jake Potter asked me if I'd walk it with him.  That put all my excuses into perspective, 'cause Jake in on crutches after a recent amputation taking 8 inches MORE of his left leg.  

Jake was told he'd be lucky to live another year, that was two and a half years ago. Jake is a spina bifida survivor and endures, with great grace and much humor, many other health problems as well.  Years ago Jake had to have a foot removed.  Last year Jake had to learn to walk again and week one on his crutches he walked the 2013 CCC10K.  This year doctors had to take another 8 inches off his leg and there were complications that have delayed fitting a new prosthetic.  So Jake would have to do the 6 miles  of the CCC10K on crutches.... again.  

Free beer, natch!
I went down to the Hyatt the day before to register and check out the fitness expo.  Of course at a New Orleans Fitness Expo there is a full bar, free beer, red beans and Gumbo.  There was also lots of info on races to come in the region.  I may have to do this again.
Race day was great. and the walk with Jake was a blast.  I can't imagine the pain and discomfort he endured.  Jake had to change out the rubber grip pads on the bottom of his crutches have way thru as they were worn out. But he maintained a degree of joy and motivation that was infectious.

We traded comedy war stories, tales of crazy women and dick jokes the whole way.  Evidently,  Jakes' dick is so big it has it's own minority college fund.   Jake's buddy Sam Brantley provided the 80's montage play list on a boom box.  Your the best from Karate Kid was my fav.

Jake got lots of attention on the route.  We were offered bathrooms in private homes, booze, jello shots, beer, and I'm sure Jake could have scored more than a few phone numbers, were he not in a relationship at the moment.  Fa reals, that boy gets more ass than a bus bench.

So we finished and got our participation medals.  I got my first race number, and race t-shirt.   But most of all what I got was some momentum.  I was having trouble just getting going.  Jake pushed me to do something.  To get the fuck up put one foot in front of the other.


At the post race fest I was going to break training and do some white rice as Blue Runner was a sponsor but they added sausage to the damn beans. There was a bunch o' grillin' going on.  Most of it looked like this

 I had to stick with fresh fruit but there was plenty and it was free.

I owe Jake a lot.  He got me up and got me motivated.  He is an amazing guy and very funny.  But don't take my word for it.  You can see Jake Potter every Friday he hosts a midnight comedy show at Buffa's Lounge on Esplanade at Dauphine (catty corner to the Port of Call), a long free comedy open Mic featuring tons of local talent.

Check out Jake at Accessible Comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment