Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vanity, definitely my favorite sin - Satan (Al Pachino, Devils Advocate)

I love to wear suits. I've been wearing suits since I was in high school. My buddy and partner in crime back in the day, John Pella and I suited up almost daily one semester junior year. We wanted to play lawyers in a school play and got into it. That was the beginning. I've been a closet clothes horse ever since.
I have been planning my triumphant return to the world of the urbane and dashing.  I have some websites book marked for when I can wear clothes again.  One of my favorites is MensUSA.com, a suit and tuxedo outlet that has amazing prices and a selection of suits like Amazon has books.  Wade thru the dayglo zootsuits and there are some deals on fine 140's to be had.

I'll be half the man I used to be (technically .65).  Going from a 50 regular (or "portly") to a 42 regular is no small move.  I do have a few things in my closet that I can wear on the way down.  I have 3 tuxedos in various sizes and 6 blazers (mostly portly) and 3 decent suits in x large, xx large and xxx large.  I haven't been in a size 42 since I got out of the Army.  I'll have to start from scratch.  New wardrobe time.  I am excited.  It will be great to be all healthy but really I want to look good in a suit.
What every grown up business man really wants.... is to be Don Draper.   Of course Jon Hamm has a team of stylists and an entire wardrobe department to keep him looking like Don Draper but a man can dream.  And I do dream.

Of Italian cut suits, and Seersucker for summer; braces (not suspenders which have clips, farmers wear suspenders) and an Ascot Chang shirt or 3, french cuffs and great links, crisp starched pocket squares, Hermes and Countess Mara ties.  I might even rock a dinner jacket or a silk smoking jacket.  There could even be a Fedora in my future.  A new "uniform" for comedy performances; a shiny black suit, hidden button down collar white shirt, open at the neck and two tone wingtips...  Sharp as a tack. 

Rolling to New Orleans for dinner, valet parking, dressed to the nines... I miss that.  I haven't done that in years because I'm too damn fat to fit in my tux. 

It's coming back.  I can see it.  I am ready.  As soon as I'm close I'll pull the trigger on a decent suit.  And then a suit a month until the closet is full.  I'll be giving away some jackets soon.  If you're a 50 reg/portly let me know.  I got some gently used men's wear that needs a good home.







No comments:

Post a Comment