Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

You got what, a 6 to 8 week training program? Which is perfect for me! I'm gonna leave here a lean green fighting machine!

In March of 1983 I entered training...ARRRRRMMMMY TRRRAAAING SIR!  I was a few weeks

shy of 19 years old, I weighed 237lbs at 5'10" tall.  But I had just lost 15 lbs in a week because I was measured at 5'9" the week before and was over the max  weight threshold to enlist.  I came back a week later, having cut weight like a fighter, and of course they measured me at 5'10.5".  I got in with 25lbs to spare.  But that was just to get in.  The Army was going to slim me down, or so my recruiter promised.




I had to make weight at the end of basic training (8 weeks) and then again at the end of AIT (advanced individual training) in my case the Military Police School.  At that time MP's did basic and AIT back to back in the same place.  I was to be at Fort McClellan, AL for 16 weeks until I was shipped off to West Germany.

The height weight chart for the US Army in 1983 said I needed to weigh no more than 179lbs.  That's 58 pounds for those of you scoring at home.   Well actually 66 because by the time I got to McClellan I was rehydrated up to about 245lbs.  

At the first fitness test I couldn't do one push-up, and I did only 4 sit ups.  I couldn't walk a mile much less run 2.  But I didn't worry.  I was certain I could do it.  I don't know why I just was.

I found that I loved to run calling cadence.  There's something about running in formation, with a group, that carries you along.  The singing was distracting and soon I became the one who called the cadence.  Here's one of my favorites.

Up in the morning ‘fo day
I don't like it, No way
Eat my breakfast too soon
Hungry as hell by noon
Down in the mess hall on my knees
Beggin' the Mess Sergeant "feed me please!"
Mess Sergeant said with a big ol'grin
"If you wanna be an MP you gotta be thin"
Hey all the way
We run every day
Well 16 weeks roll by and the weight falls off.  At the MP school graduation I'm standing there in my horned rimmed Drew Carey glasses and a uniform  that's just hanging off me.  I'm scanning the crowd for my parents when my mother walks past me.  She didn't recognize me.   I weighed 165lbs, had a 32 inch waist, was tan and fit and a soldier.
I'm in the 250's now.  Is a goal of 100lbs enough?  Could I get to 165lbs again?  That's what the height weight chart says is a healthy weight for me at 5'10".   Is it possible?  Only one way to find out.  Keep running. 
Company; (platoon) Double time.....  (hoo rah!)  I said DOUBLE TIME!  (HOO RAH!)  HARCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment