Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ding dong, Hello, My name is elder Skip, I'd like to share with you the most amazing Book, The Book of Vegan

A few days ago I re-posted all my old blog posts. The posts written before I fell off the vegan wagon. When I still lived in Mississippi.  When everything vegan was new and fresh.  I was starry eyed with the cliche enthusiasm of a convert.  I became a vegan evangelist of sorts. Like I had discovered the secret truth of the universe and I had to tell everyone! " Listen, really!  I know it sounds crazy but it's all true! It cures Cancer"


When the "have you heard the good news" approach didn't change the world, I went all "the sky is falling".

Militant vegan rhetoric, finger wagging, know-it-all -ism.  I was screaming, "What's wrong with you people? Can't you see the food is poison?" "The horror, the horror!"  You are going to DIE eating that"

I even went so far as to suggest that being vegan was the correct thing to do, the righteous thing. See (Good vs Evil). Eat your veggies or burn for eternity!

And then I fell off the wagon.  And I fell HARD.  I ate like a condemned man. The poison's deliciousness washed over me.  Ever so gradually I stopped caring that it was poison.  I just wanted to feel better.  I was sad and the food made it all better.

The whole world seemed to be in alignment, to cosign my relapse.  I ate what ever I wanted to eat. Ice cream, Beef Stroganoff, Clam Chowder, Po Boys, Chicken pot pies, Pizza, gumbo, beignets, alligator on a stick (I am in New Orleans).  I even tried the Wendy's burger I maligned in a post. The 1,100 calorie triple bacon cheeseburger on a pretzel bun. It was amazing. I was an like an alcoholic with the keys to the liquor store.

But the bender ran it's course.  The good feelings were short lived.  I guess I ate myself sober.  I'm back from the binge and feeling strangely peaceful and calm.

It's day 7 of  this cleansing fast and with a clear head and empty stomach I'm realizing some things.  Mainly that I don't care if you are vegan.   I need to be but you don't.  Live and let live, eat and let eat.  The evangelical vegan has left the building.

I'll stop trying to get you to go vegan (although you really should). However, If you ask I will happily share with you the benefits...  if you ask.  But the proselytizing faze is over.

Welcome the eat and let eat vegan. An attitude for the real world. Buddy-Vegan. Do you, my friend, do you!

So how does Buddy-vegan operate in the real world?  Let's say I happen to have a friend stay over, (it could happen), and she wants eggs Benedict and a petite filet for breakfast...  She can sleep in while I run to the Whole Foods.   'Cuz that's how buddy-vegan does it!  And I make awesome hollandaise, (wink wink age appropriate ladies).

But really, I'd  rather you didn't become vegan, because the parking at Whole Foods is already a nightmare.  And I like to feel superior.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember your "milk is full of blood and pus!" entry. I think the change is for the better. Back in my vegetarian days, someone once told me that the best way to make other vegetarians is to cook them a great vegetarian meal and say absolutely nothing about it. It was great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be clear.. the milk does have blood pus and feces, but Ben And Jerry's still tastes great.

      Delete
  2. *The bender ran ITS course. The possessive pronoun "its" does not have an apostrophe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about an obsessively possessive pronoun? If he uses an apostrophe on you once he's gonna do it again. Better get to a misused pronoun shelter, quick.

      Delete
  3. My brother drinks almond milk know because of the milk/puss post. Great stuff. I'm glad you are back writing these blogs again.

    ReplyDelete