Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Friday, April 12, 2013

ROAD TRIP! Vegan dairy free, gluten free, flax seed cracker snacks for everyone!

I'm headed to Austin to see my boy this weekend.  The drive is one I've made scores of times in the last 5 years.  I know every truck stop and bad food choice on the 500 mile route.  In fact Kay and I have planned gas stops at particular truck plazas because they have a particular food item.  The amazing milkshake machine at a Loves outside of Houston and the Habanero cream cheese filled Taquitos at the Flying J near Beaumont.

I could easily do 3000 calories on that drive, bags of chips, Monsters, jerky, cheese, more chips, trail mix, drive thru burgers ( I once stopped for burgers 4 times in 8 hours). 

I'll need to plan meals and snacks and everything I put in my mouth.... for the trip there, the trip back and the time in between.  There is no vacation from health.  I will not lose focus. 

Here is the plan

The way there:
I'm loading up on some fruit and a new snack Kay and I love, Spinach and Artichoke dip (home made, vegan, dairy free) rolled up in romaine lettuce ribs.  All Day Energy Greens mixed with fresh veggie juice as a drink.  Lots of water.

While there:
Beau and I stay with my oldest friend Dr. Dana Cloud a professor at UT.  She gives me full range of her kitchen so I'll be shopping and cooking for everyone this weekend. 

Eating out:
Austin has several Vegan restaurants and we're going to do Brunch Sunday at one.  It's a buffet so If Beau doesn't like something he can try something else.  I am lucky that Beau, while only 9, has an adventurous soul when it comes to food.  He can make a meal of carrots and broccoli.

We're going to check out Mothers Cafe and Casa de Luz:

Here's how Casa de Luz is described on the Happy Cow Website

A non-profit experiential educational community center, and even though it is oft taken for a restaurant, it is a place to be in worship of the earth's bounty without factory intervention and pesticide. Organic, vegan, macrobiotic, and sustainable community. Provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner using seasonal ingredients and serves complimentary organic kukicha tea. Communal table seating. Located near hike and bike trails on the Colorado River and includes an oasis of gardens, a Montessori school, rental rooms, and on site massage therapist.
  
Rolling back:

I'm going to the flag ship Whole Foods in Austin Saturday to stock up on things we can't get here, so I'll be set.

With a little planning a long road trip wont be a set back for the new plan, but rather a continuation and enhancement of it.

I am so looking forward to seeing my boy.  I know that everyday I keep to the plan is another day in the future I'll be alive to experience his life.  I do this so I can be his father as long as possible. 

Pic's from the Austin experience to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment