Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Friday, June 7, 2013

Juicy

I have this one, and it is awesome!
I officially started juicing this week.  I opted for the kitchen sink approach, carrot, tomato, red chard, turnip greens, collard greens, celery, bell, jalapeno and scotch bonnet peppers. 

I guess my body is not used to nutrition.  I am buzzin'.  I had to sip because it is just so chock full o' goodness.  The juice is strong.  I ended up adding some water.  I'm gonna call this juice mix "The Truth"  because as it turns out, I just can't handle the truth.

Yet the truth is just what I need.  Lots and lots of truth.  Juicing is a great way to boost nutrition, lose weight and feel better fast.  I made about two quarts this morning of fresh juice and this afternoon as I'm on the last bottle I feel wonderful.  Juicing is now officially part of the Team Guidry training and health plan.  I am joining a movement which has a storied history.



Norwalk commercial juicer 1950
Current Norwalk Model
A brief history of Juicing

"Juicing" has been around as long as people.   Juicing was even mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls.  "A pounded mash of pomegranate and fig" resulting in "profound strength and subtle form."

The Ancient Greeks called Pomegranate juice a ‘love potion’

Polynesians have made juices from fruits and vegetables (especially the noni fruit) for all their recorded history.

Modern juicing was pioneered by Norman Walker the inventor of the Norwalk Juicer in 1930.  The Norwalk is still made today and is still considered (by some) the gold standard of juicers.

But the guy who did the most for Juicing in the US is our hero, oft mentioned in this blog, Saint Jack, Jack LaLanne.  I have a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer (as should everyone).  Jack was pimping juice 70 years ago.

There are those who say that juicing can cure chronic illnesses, even cancer.  I don't know about all that but the basic premise is solid.  The nutrition in fruits and veggies is lost thru cooking or pasturaziation so raw is best.  To eat enough raw veggies to get serious quantities of vitamins and minerals would require consuming 10 pounds or more a day.  You can easily juice 10 pounds of fruit and veggies and drink it in a day.
 
I'm all about the juice.  I just need a crime scene clean up krewe for the aftermath.  After my second juicing session the kitchen looked like I was remaking Hostel 3.

I need a tiled room with a drain in the center.  Juicing is not for the neat.  It's a gory mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment