Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Friday, March 29, 2013

How much do you tip the drummer?

Music makes you move.  Slave drivers on galley ships knew this long before the Walkman and MP3. The pounding drum on a galley ship moved the rowers along.  There is an instinctual need to move with the beat.  That and the guy with the whip.

I listen to music when I work out, run, ride my bike.  (Not yet while I swim.  I'll invest in a pool safe mp3 device once I get my swim endurance up to more than 20 minutes.) The music helps me go faster and longer.  Helps distract me from aches and pains and drowns out the voice in my head that says "quit, stop, slow down". 

Developing a play list that takes you through your workout, from warm up to max output and then cool down, is a process.  Music can be as powerful a stimulant as caffeine and has no side effects. Some music just, makes you want to move!  get up and go!  Music while exercising has made a huge difference to me.

Musical choices are personal as well.  I have a play list I'm happy with at the moment but to be honest I'm not sure if I want to share it with the world.

It's not that I'm embarrassed....OK yes it is, I'm embarrassed.  I have the Bangles and Justin Timberlake on my play list, AC/DC and the Rocky Soundtrack, it's cliché and obvious and uninspired.... except for maybe Rammstein. 





Ok well maybe it's not that bad.  Here is my play list.  Mock if you must but suggest changes.  I'm always open to new music (age of the songs on this list aside).


Warm up:


Traffic - Low spark of high healed boys 11:44

Curtis Stigers & The Forest Rangers - John the Revelator 5:35

Philadelphia Morning - Rocky Soundtrack 3:14

Going the distance - Rocky Soundtrack  2:38

Start to run:

Kool and the Gang - Jungle Boogie 3:05

Greenday - Basket Case 3:10

Rammstein - Bück dich! 3:23

Fast walk/Run alternate

AC/DC - Thunder Struck (cliche I know but common) 4:52

LMFAO-Sexy and I know it  3:26

The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter 2:47


Cool down



Bringing sexy back - Justin Timberlake 4:02

I'm on a Boat - The Lonely Island 2:34

Philadelphia Morning is an amazing piece of the Rocky soundtrack. It was background for Rocky's first training run, he's out of shape, and can barely make it up the steps at the end. I feel his pain.

Everything is pretty standard except for Rammstein. Want to pick up your workout like a shot of adrenalin in the heart?..... then you need the 'roids of music; German Speed Metal.  A pounding beat starts and some dude barking at you in German. You are not just running, you are running for your life!   Get off the treadmill and invade Poland.  But what ever you do don't google the lyric translation.  There are some things you just can't unlearn.

Click here to listen to Rammstein - Bück dich

No comments:

Post a Comment