Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Friday, March 29, 2013

Building self esteem, one cheap pop at a time.

A "Cheap pop" is comedy slang for a comment to an audience that elicits automatic applause.  You say something obvious and pandering (therefore "cheap") and it receives the expected "pop" of applause. You know what I'm talking about, performers and politicians use them all the time.  Statements like:  "Lets give it up for the troops"  "God Bless America" (Lee Greenwood) or Bush, arm draped around a firefighter, even SNL bringing out the Sandy Hook Elementary School Choir to sing Silent Night, Super Duper Turbo Nuclear Cheap Pop

My CD is made in China but 'merica man!
Bush with NYFD Prop
I want to hear the Sandy Hook jokes the SNL guys wrote.


 But personal Cheap pops are my favorites: "Hey everyone, I just... (insert joyous event here) got married, engaged, had a baby, having a baby; 
Or personal achievement pops: "We've been married 40 years",  "I just lost 50lbs!"  "I just quit smoking"

And now with Facebook and Twitter you don't have to be on stage to grab a "Cheap pop".  Using the same announcements you can induce the Facebook/Twitter applause equivalent, "likes" and "comments".  I did it myself all this week.   Weight loss, going Vegan, quitting smoking.  Oh and today is my birthday, "Mamma say, mamma saw, mama coo sah" I am the King of Cheap Pop. 

I do love that the weight loss announcement always gets a pop.  In my case it is so undeserved.  I Gained 60lbs over the last 4 years.  If I drop a few and announce it..... I'll get the "pop".   I get applause/accolades for getting back to "obese" from "morbidly obese".

Life is unfair.  If a guy came out on stage (or on Facebook) and said "I've maintained a healthy weight all my life through careful diet and exercise"  the response......"Boooo Boooooo", "get of the stage, you skinny punk ass bitch!", "UN-FRIEND" 

But stop drinking after 4 DUI's or stop eating your face off after a triple bypass and you're a hero. Back to Jack v. Jarod Jack Lalanne or Subway Jarod? Mr. Universe or the Biggest Loser?

Everybody loves a comeback story.  We love it when others stumble and fall and get back up and run.  Nobody likes the guy who got it right all along. 

So..... Hey everybody, It's my birthday, and I lost 19lbs ! And I quit Smoking, my 10 year old just got straight A's.....again (true).  Oh no....don't.... stop.....no...  really, don't stop.




No comments:

Post a Comment