Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

I'm getting some negative push back from select family and friends, (who are of course morbidly obese), about my current endeavor.  "It can't be healthy" they opine or "My doctor told me to never fast" they lie. Or my favorite "My Jenny Craig adviser said it never works and you'll just put it all back on." .... Basically the fat people are saying "Hey stop it already! You're doing this the hard way, I only want to hear about easy ways.  Because if the hard way works and really it's the only way, I'm screwed.  So stop trying or fail already so I can avoid taking responsibility for my health and well being."

I'm sure part of it is natural instinct, like crabs in a bucket keeping each other from getting out; with maybe a little misery loves company mixed in.  Like I'm leaving the party early because I have to work in the morning. "Pussy!" they shout.

No one likes to witness the cheerful personal sacrifice of someone solving a problem they have themselves.  Sometimes when you stop self destructive behavior that is shared by the people in your life, they feel betrayed. 

However; I think the motivation of these detractors is mostly about our perception of others.  Fat people have one truth and fit people have another.

The fat peoples' truth: 

Everyone who is in shape is just lucky, just genetically blessed.

They don't have to suffer as much as I would or food dosent taste as good to them or their mommy was nicer to them.  It has to be "luck". 

I needed to believe that "truth" because if it's not "luck" then it's all on me.  I sure don't want to believe that.  I'll justify any silly thing to avoid facing the fact that I am personally responsible for my situation. 

The fit peoples' truth:

Every one over weight is weak and lazy.  If they'd just work harder, had a little will power, they'd be able to get in shape.

It has to be true or fit people couldn't take credit for their fitness.  It would be luck not hard work and discipline.  I'm not lucky, I just have will power.

Of course it is a little of both.  I am lazy and weak and I think genetics plays a part in my strugle with weight but so what?  OK, it may be easier for some than others.  Too bad.  Pretty people make more money, tall people are better at basketball, rich people live longer, life is unfair.

I'd like to believe I'm above the fat peoples' truth but I just talked to my friend Comic/Actor/Model and PlayGirl centerfold Jayson Cross (pic below, ladies)  and I was reminded how much I believed he was lucky not determined and dedicated.  Really I needed to believe it.

I thought if he had my reaction to food, if he had my cross to bear, then he'd have a waist line 18 inches bigger around than his inseam is long, like I do.  (that's jeans size 48/30 and you can get them at Wal Mart, but another inch and I'm off the the big and tall store)

Here's the real deal, Jayson's fitness is not luck, it is EARNED.  He is always in the gym, he is careful with his diet and he WORKS HARD to keep in shape.  But I rationalized that as luck.  I saw him as someone getting credit for showing up.  As Cheech Marin sang; "Mexican Americans, like education, so they go to night school and take Spanish and get a "B".  That was my perception of my super fit (through hard work) friend Jayson, he just showed up all ripped and fit.

I think that's why we love Subway Jared, (not me, the public, I never liked Subway Jared).  He was a really fat guy and with very little effort lost lots of weight (at least that's the story the marketers at Subway tell).

No one loves depravation and sacrifice and hard work.  Everyone likes to sit on the couch and eat chips and ice cream and let the cable TV wash over them.  The abillity to delay gratification and enjoy the work is the result of  discpline and determination. 

Sure we all want to be fit and healthy as long as it doesent cost too much.  And when we can't find the easy path to fitness we give up, surround ourselves with like minded souls and say Ef it. When eating Subway doesent make us lose 100lbs we give up and waddle over to the troth at the Golden Corral.  Cause food works everytime.  Food feels good!  Hunger sucks hairy clown ass!  

Delayed gratification is a muscle I have to exercise and build up.  Right now I haven eaten anything solid for 8 days.  I actually feel great.  I don't want a donought, I want to be fit. 

I also want to feel how I feel right now as often as possible.  I worked out this morning, pushed farther than last time. I'm full of energy.  I'm keeping promises to myself. 

I still think Jayson is one lucky bastid but he works damn hard for all that luck.


Click here to check out Jayson online.  FUNNY!

No comments:

Post a Comment