Pedicab

Pedicab
Livin the dream

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I don't want to be that guy....

You know the one, "that guy" who can't eat anywhere, asks a hundred questions of the server, makes everyone suffer for his dietary restrictions... I refuse to be that guy.
Especially when the dining out is for a special occasion like mothers day.  So I take steps to ensure I am not a drag on the outing.  I do some research, check out the website and menu for the restaurant.  So when mothers day rolled around I was prepped and ready.  I did two meals out with mixed results.  Here are my reviews.

First review Appleby's McComb MS.

Service 3/10
Food 2/10
Atmosphere 4/10
Happy mom 7/10

Appleby's has been plagued by problems since it opened.  Bad service and long ticket times.  Food coming out in the wrong order and incomplete orders.  This visit was no different.

My wife is trying the vegan thing but not as adamantly as I am.  We decided to try the spinach and artichoke dip as an appetizer and even though I knew it was basically a dish of cheese and fat with a hint of canned spinach and artichoke, even so I went ahead and had a few bites.   The salty chips and the greasy cheese were just awful.  I was in distress from then on.

So I ordered a simple meal I thought.  A plain baked potato, (I had brought with me some non-dairy sour cream and non-dairy cheese but I didn't make a big deal about it). a side of grilled onions/mushrooms and a house salad.  Green salad, no cheese, no croutons, oil and vinegar.  How can you mess that up right?....RIGHT?  WRONG!

The plain "baked"potato was not baked, it was steamed in the microwave and greasy somehow.  The onions and mushrooms had bits of burned gristle in it from what ever was on the grill next to it when it was being reheated, greasy slimy and inedible.  The salad came and it was like they were pissed off at me for ordering it.  It was a plate of lettuce, tomato smothered in BACON.  I didn't request no bacon because I didn't know there would be bacon on it.  So I gently asked for a new salad, nibbled at the greasy tatter and ignored the knot in my stomach from the two bites of cheese dip.

My mother in law and bride enjoyed their meals and my wife only caught on to my dismay when  I refused a go box for my slimy slop of a meal.  Mission accomplished I was not that guy.

Now shift to Metairie and my mothers favorite restaurant China Palace all you can eat Buffet!.

MUCH BETTER!

Service 7/10
Food 8/10
Atmosphere 6/10
Happy mom 10/10

At least I could build my own salad and find some vegetables and they had kim chi!  I did two plates and then gorged on fruit.  I was a happy camper.  Mom put a hurt on the crab legs and oysters and my bride did some shrimp and that made her happy.

I was not that guy and also the others at the table went lighter on the deserts and heaver on the fruit because of my example. 

Driving home from Metairie Sunday, top down, hot blond wife next to me, trunk full of Whole Foods feeling like a million bucks.  Life is good.  Just stay away from Appleby's.

No comments:

Post a Comment